London: December 30, 2017. (PCP) Five Pakistani activists who went missing earlier this year after using social media to speak out against religious intolerance have been cleared of blasphemy charges.
The men vanished within days of each other in January, and four of them were later released, with some accusing their captors of torture.
No one claimed responsibility for the abduction, and Pakistan’s government and military, who they also criticised, denied being involved.
On Friday, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) told the Islamabad High Court it could find no evidence against the five men.
The judge said that no innocent person should falsely accused of blasphemy.
One of the activists has since said Pakistan’s courts should investigate why the country’s media repeated the dangerous claims against him without proof.
Such accusations can spark vigilante killings and mob lynchings.
Nasir Saeed, Director CLAAS-UK said that while it was a very encouraging decision by the court, he was unsure whether it would help stop the ongoing misuse of the blasphemy law which continues to grow, despite repeated calls from national and internarial human rights groups.
He added: “It is sad that despite the Pakistani government and all other law enforcing institutions recognising the blasphemy law’s misuse is widespread, and often innocent people are accused by their opponents to settle their personal scores, the Pakistani government has failed to stop its ongoing misuse.
“Once someone is accused their life is changed forever and threats to the accused person persist even if the person is found not guilty and released by the court. False accusations are levelled without knowing the consequences as the government has never questioned the false accusers. It is the government’s duty to provide protection and justice to its citizens.”