Prime suspect still at large in ‘well-planned murder’ of Kawish and KTN journalist Aziz Memon

Image

Karachi: A year after the death of KTN news channel and Sindh daily Kawish journalist Aziz Memon the alleged mastermind behind the “well-planned murder” remains at large.

Memon’s death in February 2020 had led to condemnations from the civil society and politicians alike leading to the formation of a joint investigation team (JIT) to investigate the murder. A year after Memon’s death, the prime suspect is yet to be taken into custody although five have been arrested.

On February 16, 2020, the body of the journalist was found in a water channel in Mehrabpur in the Naushahro Feroze district of the Sindh province. According to Dawn, Memon had asked a cameraman he worked with to drop him off at a location where he was to attend a ceremony. His body was later found in the canal by villagers.

In the wake of Memon’s death, federal minister Fawad Chaudhry had requested the Chief Justice of Pakistan to “take notice of the mysterious death” of the journalist. Meanwhile, the PPP chairperson had also condemned the murder and added that journalists.

According to Dawn, Memon had “often received threats of dire consequences during his 30-year-long career”. One such threat was from a Member of the National Assembly, after which he left his hometown and moved to Islamabad for a while, the report said. Additionally, a year prior to his death, the journalist had released a video in which he said that officials from PPP, along with local police had threatened him for his reporting. Memon’s report had included the allegation that people had been paid to attend the PPP chairperson Bilawal Bhutto Zardari’s train march.

Following Memon’s death, a JIT was set up by the provincial government.  In April, Memon’s DNA report was released, which according to Dawn, had “found traces of some other human DNA”.  A month later, on May 30, Dawn reported that the JIT had reached its final conclusion that the case was a “well-planned murder”. Three suspects — Nazeer Sehto, Ameer Sehto and Farhan Sehto — had been arrested, however, the prime suspect, Mushtaq Setho, and four other individuals alleged to be accomplices were still at large.   In June, two more suspects — Zafar Sehto and Zulfiqar Sehto — were booked for Memon's murder and sent to jail on judicial remand.

Speaking to Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), the journalist’s brother Hafeez Memon said that a year has passed and yet the main culprit in the case has not been found. He said while the case is ongoing the main suspect has not been arrested. He added that in a meeting with the Hyderabad Regional Police Officer (RPO) in February he was told that this month the suspect would be arrested.

You May Also Like

Image

Pakistan subjected to increased muzzling of media content during 2020-2021

Islamabad: Pakistan was subjected to increased muzzling of media content in the period January 2020 to April 2021 thus limiting the space for free

Image

Corona in India: Why second phase of Corona has attacked India most as compared in rest of the world

New Delhi: Prof.Bhim Singh, President, J&K National Panthers Party & Sr. Advocate who travelled the whole world on two-wheels on peace miss

Image

World Press Freedom Day: Censorship and Harassment of Kashmir Journalists, Activists and Academics Must End

Washington, D.C: The World Kashmir Awareness Forum (WKA) issued the following statement in recognition of World Press Freedom Day on May 3.

"Trial of Pakistani Christian Nation" By Nazir S Bhatti

On demand of our readers, I have decided to release E-Book version of "Trial of Pakistani Christian Nation" on website of PCP which can also be viewed on website of Pakistan Christian Congress www.pakistanchristiancongress.org . You can read chapter wise by clicking tab on left handside of PDF format of E-Book.

nazirbhattipcc@aol.com , pakistanchristianpost@yahoo.com