Islamabad: November 19, 2007. (AFP) The Supreme Court swatted away the main challenges to Pervez Musharraf re-election as president Monday, taking him a step closer to quitting as army chief and restoring civilian rule.
"There were five petitions, they have all been dismissed. There is only one left, and that will be heard on Thursday," attorney general Malik Mohammad Qayyum told AFP after a hearing from which international media were banned.
The party of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto earlier said it was withdrawing its own challenge against presidency as it did not recognise the new court.
At the same time, former premier Bhutto was meeting the US ambassador to Pakistan after Washington urged her and Musharraf to restart power-sharing talks broken off after he declared emergency rule.
After last week calling on Musharraf to quit and vowing never to work with him in government, Bhutto said she saw little hope of resuming the talks that had enabled her to return to the country last month.