Peace process with Pakistan put on 'pause': Indian minister
16 Dec 2008
SRINAGAR: December 16, 2008. (AFP) India's foreign minister said Tuesday the peace process with Pakistan had been put on hold in the wake of last month's Islamic militant attacks on Mumbai.
"I do admit there is a pause in the composite dialogue process because of the attacks on Mumbai," Pranab Mukherjee told reporters in Srinagar, the main city in Indian Kashmir.
"What we expect, and what we have pointed out to (Pakistani Foreign Minister) Shah Mahmood Qureshi, is that Pakistan should fulfil its commitment of not allowing its territory for terrorist attacks against India," he added.
"Words must be followed up with action," Mukherjee said, calling for militant "infrastructural facilities" in Pakistan to be dismantled.
"We expect that good sense will prevail and we expect that the assurances that are coming will translate into action," he said.
In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, the official Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency reported that the Indian government was considering suspending the peace process.
The dialogue, which began in 2004, had already been under serious strain following the bombing of the Indian embassy in Kabul in July -- which New Delhi blamed on Islamabad.
Last month's attacks in Mumbai killed 172 people and wounded nearly 300 others. Indian officials say the militants were trained and sent by the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant group.